Environmental, Social, Health and Safety Manager
Environmental, Social, Health and Safety (“ESH&S”) Manager
The ESH&S Manager will be responsible for overseeing the environmental performance of the Syvash WPP Project (‘the Project’). The Project ESH&S Manager will examine construction and operation activities to establish where improvements can be made and ensure compliance with environmental legislation and Project ESH&S documentation.
Reporting to the Project Director (Construction phase) and then Plant Manager (Operations), in cooperation with the Project Sponsors Country ESH&S Manager, the Syvash WPP Project ESH&S Manager will:
- Be the contact for all Project ESH&S matters, communicating with Project’s construction management and operations teams, third-party consultants and all stakeholders including project lenders, governmental agencies and local communities to maintain ESH&S regulatory compliance, safe work environments and procedures, and the highest levels of environmental protection practices and develop a culture where ESH&S is integrated at all levels;
- Provide monitoring, oversight, recommendations, on all site activities to assure Project ESH&S issues and concerns are identified and appropriate measures and controls are implemented and develop site specific ESH&S procedures and policies as required. Oversight function include, but are not limited to environmental inspections, site inspections, waste inventory and inspections weekly and monthly, hazard inspections, waste profile/determinations/tracking/reporting, water permit compliance, work order risk analyses etc.;
- During construction, interface with the designated construction management team which will provide overall co-ordination of Project ESH&S aspects. During operations, the ESH&S Manager will deal directly with individual contractors;
- Comply with and seek the relevant environmental authorizations and/or permits;
- Continuously update and implement the Environmental and Social Management Plan (ESMP) as well as another relevant Project ESH&S documentation;
- Audit compliance with environmental protection, and pollution prevention and control regulations;
- Prepare necessary reports and present project’s progress on a monthly and annual basis or as required;
- Develop polices, programs and associated communication documentation;
- Implement mitigation as required via the Project ESMP. This may include promoting road safety awareness, HIV/AIDS awareness via a third party, dust and noise mitigation etc.
- Work closely with and manage Project’s community’s representative(s);
- Manage project relocation/resettlement activities if needed;
Implement formal grievance mechanism;
- Undertake complaint investigation, including root cause analysis, evaluation and identification of corrective measures;
- Coordinate with emergency response personnel at the site level and insure that site emergency plans and procedures are implemented to the full extent possible. Provide emergency management assistance during site or offsite emergencies in accordance with the area of expertise and level of training attained;
- Implement training program through the company to achieve desired results of injury free environments;
- Provide budgetary control and management over ESH&S budgets at the Project level;
- Initiate an Environmental and Social Management System on the Project level;
- Monitor the effectiveness of mitigation during the construction and operation phases of the project, and instilling change management procedures;
- Interface with the Corporate Social Responsibility (CSR) Program to ensure smooth activity implementation;
Experience and Qualifications:
- Knowledgeable of applicable health and safety and environmental standards; ability to identify existing and predictable hazards, working conditions that are unsanitary, hazards that are dangerous to employees;
- Experience of working in remote areas; role will be primely based at the wind farm site;
- Ability to travel extensively;
- A minimum of 5 years working in power generation with a preference for wind farm and high-voltage facilities experience;
- Experience of managing large scale multi-faceted complex projects;
- Experience of implementing the Equator Principles and the environmental, social, health and safety standards of international finance institutions such as the European Bank for Reconstruction and Development, International Finance Corporation etc. on major projects is essential;
- A degree in an environmental science, engineering or equivalent qualifications;
- Ukrainian and Russian languages at the native speaker levels, strong English would be a preference.
If you have any questions on application, please, contact Environmental and Social Manager for Project Sponsor, Ms. Oksana Rakovich, at +38 (055) 270-83-91.